Things To Do / Not To Do
- Stop feeding the monkeys and don’t allow anyone in your neighborhood to do so. Try explaining the problems feeding vervets can cause.
- Do not encourage them to come close to people, especially young children.
- Keep windows and rubbish bins securely closed and fastened. Minimize the sight of food and you solve your problem.
- Condition monkeys not to come onto your property by using a catapult with small cubes of potato. This will not harm the monkeys.
- Don’t leave food on display
- Make Monkey-Proof bins (See below for more details)
- Become a member of “friends of the vervet monkey”
- Tell my neighbors the same information and advice
How To Make A Monkey-Proof Bin
The following guide explains how, using an old bicycle inner tube, a “monkey proof” bin can be created.
The attraction of food, be this in a rubbish bin, on a fruit tree or even through a kitchen window will ultimately attract vervet monkeys to your property if a troop is resident in your area.
Does Your Bin Have Handles?
By illuminating the attraction of food, 90% of vervet monkey conflicts can be alleviated.
How To Make Your Garden an Unattractive Target For Vervet Monkeys
Correct Placement Of Feeding Stations
Vervet conflicts can also be controlled through the correct placing of a feeding station. We created a successful station at a popular tea garden in the Limpopo Province. Contact us for advice and support setting up a station to control firstname.lastname@example.org.